This Might Be The First Samsung Galaxy Note7 Explosion In Australia

“My brand new Note7 exploded this morning while I was still asleep, it was plugged in and charging,” writes Melbourne Redditor Crushader, in what appears to be Australia’s first case of a Samsung Galaxy Note7 being destroyed due to a recently discovered battery defect, “[Samsung] told me this is the first case in Australia”.

While Samsung isn’t elaborating on the incident, which allegedly occurred in a Perth hotel room, a replacement phone has been supplied via a Samsung store and the company is covering the $1800 hotel damages bill according to Crushader.

“Phone completely fried, I can’t eject the sim tray to retrieved my sim or the SD card. I was using original charger and cable if you are wondering. Charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my finger while doing that too,” Crushader explains in the post.

Samsung recently announced a full recall of the devices, advising owners to switch off their phones and return them to where they were purchased in return for a temporary replacement phone.

Crushader echoed this in the Reddit post.

“Please do not use the phone anymore, it is dangerous and not worth the risk. I knew of the recall and lodged my application with Samsung as soon as they announced officially on Friday, and now 3 days later it has happened to me”.

Samsung has stated it is aware of the incident, ans an investigation into “a very small number of reported incidents with the Galaxy Note7” has commenced.

The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans

It’s the most popular NBN speed in Australia for a reason. Here are the cheapest plans available.

At Gizmodo, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We have affiliate and advertising partnerships, which means we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. BTW – prices are accurate and items in stock at the time of posting.